Designer: Karen Costello Soltys
Techniques : Piecing
- NEW HERE? Sign up for notices, and Join our Classroom!
- Read all the Project details HERE
- Click here for Previous blocks
- If you are new to paper piecing, see our tutorial page for tips
- See FAQ if you have pdf/printer issues
Karen Says “The best way (or the most fun way) to learn something new is to give it a try. You won’t really know if you like a particular technique or tip or trick until you try it. When I started quilting I swore I’d never applique because I didn’t like doing handwork. Turns out, I really enjoy handwork. I just didn’t like hemming and mending things!”
Karen is our editor at Martingale books. Actually Karen is the secret weapon that makes all the amazing Martingale books come to life.. and on schedule! I have known Karen a very long time, and I have a fun story of how we ‘officially’ meet each other. Which we talked about when I was out to visit the Martingale offices in January.
I had been teaching locally for years, but once I started my business full time, I was asked to travel to teach at events. One of my very first events was a quilt show in Gettsyburg PA. I was teaching a packed wool applique class, it was so fun! At the end, this nice lady introduced herself as an editor from Martingale books… I think i could have fainted! I was not used to teaching people who know more than me.. wink!
Besides being a quilter, Karen is also an incredible knitter and very good at finding amazing snacks where ever we went when I was visiting! She knows the best spot!… Karen is busy and we are so fortunate to have her not only working on our book for the Splendid Sampler, but giving us this awesome block for the project!
Read more at the Martingale Blog about Karen’s block AND see a SNEAK peek of our book!
This project is
- Run and Hosted by Jane Davidson and Pat Sloan.
- Sign up for Pat’s Newsletter HERE with great tips each week
- Sign up for Jane’s posts HERE
- Sponsored by Moda Fabrics, Aurifil thread, and Martingale Books, Handi Quilter please visit them!
- Our Friend Joan Ford has The Splendid Sampler™ quilting tips each week in her newsletter
- And watch Alyssa Thomas does Video Tutorials on each block!
We would love to see all your blocks so add your links down below with the blue button. The Tutorial on how to load a photo
article continues below ad