Designer: Pat Sloan
Techniques : Piecing, Foundation
Blocks by Pat Sloan, Pat Sloan, Melanie Barrett, Charise Randell, Lynette Anderson, Melissa Corry, Joan Ford, and Katja Ma
Click here for Previous blocks
Pat Sloan: I’ve been quilting quite awhile now and I can’t believe how I STILL get so excited about all things quilting. If I spot a new fabric, a fun technique, or an adorable project … I must own it, try it, and make it!!
We have sewn a lot for for the book, but I’m also sewing another Splendid Sampler along with you. My own Aqua, Red, Cream and Gray is my version to enjoy sewing and to savory every stitch! I am not even TRYING to keep up. that is not fun, I’m going to be making Splendid blocks with quilters for years to come, so don’t feel rushed, relax, enjoy the journey.
I designed this block to showcase some of the selvages from the fabrics you are using in your quilt. A truly frugal block to use every scrap of your fabric up!
So what IS the selvage anyway? It is the EDGE of your fabric. Is often White or cream with the fabric line, designer, manufacturer and color dots.
The Edge is very tightly woven and often you can see the little holes where it is held onto the machine for printing it. Mixing in a few of these with your whole quilt will not affect it at all. And you don’t normally use this because it’s a different color than the fabric.
Batiks don’t have a printed selvage, so you’ll notice Joan’s block doesn’t have any.
I often include a piece of the selvage on my label or as a strip for pieced quilt backings to remember the fabric lines. Plus loads of adorable ‘dots’ now.. bunnies, flowers, I even had tomatoes! I hope you will add just a LITTLE piece into your quilt to try it!
Places you need to see
- I’m writing about each bock and have a link page at my website HERE
- My Yearly FREE Mystery, this year it’s My Secret Garden
- My online classroom
- The Challenge I’m running this year
- Sew a Village
- And get my tips right in your inbox!
Find my goodies…
- The awesome stand
- Get your own small sewing box
- MY Books
- My beautiful Moda Hometown Girl Fabric, I’m on the bike at the Moda Warehouse, it’s a big place!
- My yummy Aurifil Thread kits
- And Listen to my Talk show, airs weekly and I have SIX YEARS of shows for you to catch up on!
Do you struggle with larger quilts doing them yourself? Or feel like you really want to master quilting as you go? This is an excellent class by our friend Marti. You’ll get a ton of ideas and can watch just the parts you need.
This project is
- Run and Hosted by Jane Davidson and Pat Sloan.
- Sign up for Pat’s Newsletter HERE with great tips each week
- Sign up for Jane’s posts HERE
- Sponsored by Moda Fabrics, Aurifil thread, and Martingale Books, Handi Quilter please visit them!
- Our Friend Joan Ford has The Splendid Sampler™ quilting tips each week in her newsletter
We would love to see all your blocks so add your links down below with the blue button.
More Articles on previous pages